Fish, Wildlife and Parks
Recreational Trails Program
The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) provides funds to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities in Montana. Eligible projects include:
- Trail projects on routes legally designated or otherwise appropriately approved by the land managing agency.
- Trails that are not currently under litigation in a court of law.
- Construction and maintenance of trails:
- Clearing/brushing on federal lands will only be allowed to the standard clearing widths identified in the appropriate federal agency trail guidelines.
- On federal lands, grants will only be approved for trails legally designated by the appropriate federal agency that are included in recognized forest plans, resource area plans, or travel plans.
- Broad scale maintenance will require specific trail identification and specific description of work to be accomplished.
- Weed control related to a trail or trail projects.
- Restoration of areas damaged by trail use.
- Development of trailside and trailhead facilities (buildings and facilities that are newly constructed or altered with federal funds are subject to the accessibility requirements contained in the Uniform Accessibility Standards).
- Providing features to assist individuals with disabilities.
- Development of urban trail linkages near homes and work places.
- Operation of trails-related environmental protection and safety education programs.
- Trails information, ethics education, and interpretive information.
- Acquisition of easements and fee simple title of property for trails.
- Signs and other traffic control devices relating to trail use (such devices must conform to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices).
- Purchase of trail-specific equipment to be used on a long-term or seasonal basis and that is not available through rent or lease. The applicant must identify a methodology for long-term operation and maintenance of the equipment. Equipment must clearly and solely benefit trail users and not be used in other settings. Equipment should be rented if it will not be used for ongoing maintenance specific to the proposed trail or trail systems.
Standard Grant Request: $10,000 to $69,999
Big Grant Request: $70,000 to $100,000
80:20 match requirement. Reimbursement program. Federal subrecipients must provide 5% of match requirements from a non-federal source.
Federal, Tribal, State, County or City/Town agencies, private associations and clubs
Find Out More and Apply