US Department of Agriculture
Solid Waste Management Grants
This program reduces or eliminates pollution of water resources by providing funding for organizations that provide technical assistance or training to improve the planning and management of solid waste sites.
Funds may be used for the following:
- Evaluate current landfill conditions to identify threats to water resources.
- Provide technical assistance or training to enhance the operation and maintenance of active landfills.
- Provide technical assistance or training to help communities reduce the amount of solid waste coming into a landfill.
- Provide technical assistance or training to prepare for closure and future use of a landfill site.
Grants are subject to the availability of funds.
- Most state and local governmental entities
- Federally recognized tribes
- Academic institutions
Rural areas and towns with a population of 10,000 or less — check eligible addresses
Special consideration may be given for projects serving:
- An area with fewer than 5,500 or fewer than 2,500 people;
- regional, multi-state or national areas; or
- lower-income populations.
Find Out More and Apply